Another miles purchase promotion has come! I’m not sure whether the promotion was targeted to certain member only or not. Until 28th December 2017, you can purchase Alaska miles with bonus up to 40%.
The bonus is tiered into 3 levels:
- Purchase 10,000 – 19,000 miles will get 20% bonus
- Purchase 20,000 – 29,000 miles will get 30% bonus
- Purchase 30,000 – 60,000 miles will get 40% bonus
You only allowed to purchase 60,000 miles (pre-bonus) per transaction. However, Alaska doesn’t restrict you on how many miles you can purchase per account per calendar year. So if you need a huge amount of miles, you may do it in separate transaction.
Alaska didn’t charge you for anything except taxes on most airline partners redemption. They also have low redemption rate in premium cabins (Business class and first class) of partner airlines, especially Cathay Pacific and Japan Airlines. Even better, they allow you to make a free stopover although you only flying one way.
Here you can find a few examples of airline partners premium cabin redemption round-trip (if one-way will be charged half of the round-trip miles amount) using Alaska miles between South East Asia (including Indonesia) and North America (including United States):
- Cathay Pacific Business Class for 100,000 miles, equivalent of USD 2,128.5 (about IDR 28,800,000) + taxes
- Cathay Pacific First Class for 140,000 miles, equivalent of USD 2,956.26 (about IDR 40,000,000) + taxes
- Japan Airlines Business Class for 130,000 miles, equivalent of USD 2,778.88 (about IDR 37,600,000) + taxes
- Japan Airlines First Class for 150,000 miles or equivalent of USD 3192.76 (about IDR 43,200,000) + taxes
To take advantage of the promotion, your account must be at least 10 days old. The promotion will last a few weeks, so you better asap enroll Alaska membership for free here, then you will have time to think whether the promotion will suit you well or not.
Historically, it is not one of the best bonus Alaska ever offered. On the past August, they offer up to 50% on miles purchase for certain account. But if you have some short term plan in mind, you might be better to consider this promotion.
Author doesn’t affiliate and not earn anything from the brands mentioned on this post.